Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Necktie DIY: iPhone or iPod Pouch Tutorial




I've been having so much fun upcycling things lately. 'Re-fashioning' is very appealing to me; not only because it gives outdated things a new life, but because it lets me use my creative problem-solving skills and create something one of a kind! This is my entry for this month's Etsy Fort Worth Upcycle THIS! Craft Challenge. I will show you step by step how I made an iPhone pouch from one of my Dad's old (and I mean oooooold) ties!


As you can see, this tie is a lovely handpainted silk pattern in bright gold and various shades of lilac. Very Retro. Beautiful fabric, but a little garish to be worn as an actual necktie these days, don't you think? I thought it would make a beautiful little fold-over pouch, and I was right!

For DIY, keep reading & let's get started!

SUPPLIES and TOOLS:
• 1 necktie
rotary cutter or sharp fabric scissors
• ruler / straight edge
• cutting mat
• needle and thread
decorative snap buttons
snap fastener or snap fastening pliers


First, fold over the pointed end of the tie and measure from the straight edge that creates. I used a sharpie to mark at 6 and 1/2 inches, because that was a good size to fit my iPhone. If you are creating a pouch for another specific object, measure by sliding it inside the end of the tie, and fold over the flap as if you were closing the pouch. You want to make sure you leave yourself room for the seam at the bottom, so find the end of your object inside the tie and add at least 1/2", then mark for cutting.


I used a ruler and this awesome Fiskars rotary cutter on a cutting board to create a perfect straight cut. You can also use very sharp fabric scissors, of course. (Save the remainder of the fabric; I have some more fun Upcycled Neck Tie project ideas for you!!)


Turn your cut piece inside out. I left the lining of the tie in place, so I didn't have to re-stitch the seam. Plus, I thought it would be great to have that extra padding.


Stitch a straight line to close the end of the pouch, about 1/2" from the end of the fabric. I folded the corners in and sewed them down to create rounded corners for the pouch.  I trimmed the excess fabric using the ruler and rotary cutters again, and then turned the pouch right-side out again.


Using a faux pearl snap and these Dritz snap fastening pliers, I secured the bottom of the snap in place throught the fabric, about 1/4" down from the V of the pouch opening. Refer to your snap package for clear directions on assembling the pieces correctly.  The top of the snap has a different back piece than the bottom part of the snap.



I repeated the process for the top part of the snap, after rotating the bottom part of the jaw on the snap-fastening pliers. Refer to instructions from your particular fastening tool or pliers, and be sure to add the rubber rings to the jaws of the snap fasteners if they are included but not attached already.


That's it! It was super easy, even for someone like me who doesn't sew!



Want to buy the finished pouch? It's a one-of-a-kind piece, for sure. You can get it here(sold!)

I'd love to see your projects, please feel free to leave links to your own necktie-pouch creations in the comments below, and of course I would appreciate a link back to this tutorial if it has inspired you to post one of your own :)

Come back tomorrow for another Fun Craft Project - I'll show you how to make an adorable belt from an old necktie (using the rest of this very same tie)!

how to make a cute belt from an upcycled old necktie


I LOVE to be pinned on Pinterest :)  I hope you'll share with the world by pinning me if you like what you see here! 

Green Crafts Showcase
Visit thecsiproject.com

3 comments:

  1. Such a good idea!!! We have old ties stuck away in trunks from way back and haven't known what to do with them, some are such beautiful fabrics and colours that is why it has been so hard to get rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun---I love that better as a case than as a tie ;)

    ReplyDelete