Thursday, July 18, 2013

Hanging Mason Jar Lanterns - DIY Wedding Craft {Video}

DIY Mason Jar Hanging Lanterns - DIY wedding craft tutorial (video)


I know I'm not the only one who has a crush on mason jars. Mason jars are huge in arts and crafts and in DIY weddings, especially right now...in case you have been living under a rock.

Ever since I saw these cute customizable mason jar save-the-dates  I knew I wanted to incorporate mason jars into my someday wedding, even though that was a couple of years ago and I wasn't actually even engaged yet... So yeah,  I totally had a crush on them first ;)

I thought it might be easier to make a video showing the step-by-step process than just take a zillion boring photos of me looping wire that may or may not really make sense. Plus, I like making videos.

For my hangers in this video, I used some electrical wire (Romex) reclaimed from the trash pile after we installed a new ceiling fan. It's perfect for all kinds of crafts, and it's solid copper! But if you don't happen to have any of this stuff lying around, you can find 12 gauge (or 14 gauge would work too) wire in your choice of metals at the craft store or at the hardware store.

I believe the mouths of mason jars are a standard size, but just for reference I am using the quart sized jars.

There's a complete list of tools and supplies after the video. (If you're on a mobile device and can't see the embedded video, you can watch this Mason Jar Lantern How To on YouTube.) Enjoy!



TOOLS & SUPPLIES:
mason jars
• for each mason jar - 26 inches of 12 or 14 gauge wire (copper, brass, or colored craft wire)
• heavy duty wire cutters ( I use floral cutters)
round nosed pliers

DIY Mason Jar Hanging Lanterns - DIY wedding craft tutorial (video)


DIY Mason Jar Hanging Lanterns - DIY wedding craft tutorial (video)


DIY Mason Jar Hanging Lanterns - DIY wedding craft tutorial (video)



I'd love to hear what you think about this project. Leave me a note!

 I linked up at: 

Crafty Obsessions Link Party

9 comments:

  1. How simple and elegant! I'm going to keep this in mind for our future events! Great project. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful, natural, and simple! I will have to give these a try, once I get all my furniture and I am finally feeling situated in my apartment! Glad we were able to connect and have a wonderful weekend! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen! It will be wonderful to get settled in to your new place. I'm glad you like this project - simple is my style, even when it comes to "the big day". Take care!

      Jess

      Delete
  3. Really fun! Thanks for sharing at my Pin Me Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting, Diana! And thank you for stopping by to visit :)

      Delete
  4. I just love mason jars! I'd love to make these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! And these are really pretty easy. Thanks so much for visiting!

      Delete