Monday, November 11, 2013

DIY Raspberry Lemon Sugar Scrub - Handmade Bridesmaid Gift Idea

DIY Raspberry Lemon Body Scrub in Etched Glass Jars- Recipe + Tutorial


Well, I promised you all some more DIY Wedding stuff! I made this delicious homemade raspberry lemon sugar scrub as part of my bridesmaids' gifts goody bags. (I'll be sharing more of those soon as well). It's a beautiful happy color pink, it's moisturizing, and it smells amaaaaaaazing (seriously - good enough to eat)! Oh, and it's super quick and easy to make!

Now of course, it's not strictly wedding related, but it's the reason it came about, so it is to me. I love the idea of using this homemade scrub for any gift giving occasion, and it's definitely great as part of a gift basket (filled with other homemade goodies, of course!) Hostess gifts, baby shower gifts, etc. etc., it's perfect, right??

And if you want to make it extra special, see below for info on etching a monogram right onto the glass jar!

DIY Raspberry Lemon Sugar Scrub

INGREDIENTS:
(per 6-7 oz jar)

1/2 cup (4 oz.) granulated sugar
1/4 cup (2 oz.) coconut oil, melted (preferably organic)
1/8 to 1/4 tsp raspberry extract
1/8 to 1/4 tsp lemon extract
red food coloring (optional*)

DIRECTIONS: 

Mix ingredients together in a bowl. I suggest starting with an 1/8 teaspoon measure of both the raspberry and lemon extract, and then adding more according to your preference. I think I ended up using a bit more lemon than raspberry.

The raspberry extract may already have some color added to it - mine did but the scrub without it was a much lighter pink than you see here. I used a single drop of red food coloring mixed in at the end to make the color pop a little more. 

When your scrub is all mixed up and you're happy with the scent and the color, spoon it into a jar and place in the freezer for about 30 minutes to set the consistency. After you take it out, you don't have to keep it refrigerated. If the coconut oil returns to its liquid state and you'd like to firm it up, simply place it back in the freezer for another 30 minutes. (Coconut oil remains solid up to 76˚F). 

DIY Raspberry Lemon Body Scrub in Etched Glass Jars- Recipe + TutorialNOTES:

I used these hermetically sealed glass jars, which I love! They are just under 7 oz, which is a perfect size for these gifts. 6 oz of scrub was just about right, so that that it doesn't overflow when you go to scoop some out in the shower!

I etched this jar using some Armor Etch glass etching cream and a stencil I made with this fancy punch.

If you'd like to give that a try, see my Glass Etching Tutorial for a complete step-by-step of the process I used!

(You will want to etch the jars first, so that you can be sure to clean them thoroughly before filling them with your wonderful homemade scrub!)


For the tags, I made the image in Photoshop to fit a 1.75" square, then printed them onto 65 lb kraft paper cardstock and punched them out using this fancy square punch (which is 2x2 inches). I made a small hole with another small paper punch and tied them on with some hemp twine.


DIY Raspberry Lemon Body Scrub in Etched Glass Jars- Recipe + Tutorial


How to use your new homemade sugar scrub: 

Rub wet skin with about a tablespoon of the mixture at a time, in a circular motion until the sugar has dissolved. Repeat all over your body and rinse as normal.

The sugar exfoliates and sloughs off dead skin cells and the coconut oil replenishes your skin, locking in moisture from the shower, while the refreshing scent of raspberry and lemon wafts into your nostrils and right to your brain...(which says, "ohhhhh, thank you! I needed this!")

I don't recommend using sugar scrub on your face, as it can be too rough on tender skin. Try this simple DIY face polish instead!

* Like most bath products, this mixture can cause the shower or bath floor to become slippery, so please be careful.*

I think these sweet jars of homemade goodies make such special lovely gifts (and my bridesmaids agreed :) What do you think?

I can't wait to experiment with some other fragrances!




See more DIY Beauty:

18 comments:

  1. Going to try this out! Looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Allison!

      I still have some from the batch I made a year ago, and it's still good! Beyond that, I'm not sure, but definitely several months is no problem :)

      Delete
  3. Quick question.....what would the measurements be if I wanted to make this into a lip scrub?? This recipe sounds absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great idea! Try this:

      1 TBSP sugar
      1/2 TBSP coconut oil
      1-2 drops raspberry extract
      1-2 drops lemon extract

      This is just a guess, so you might need to tweak that a little. If it's too runny, add a pinch more sugar, if it's too dry add a drop more oil. You can also add more of the extracts if you want a stronger flavor but it's easier to start light since once it's in you can't take it out.

      If you want to add food coloring, I think a whole drop of red might be too much (if you want to keep it light pink) so if you can find a way to add less than a drop, start there.

      Have fun! Let us know how it goes :)



      Delete
  4. What font did you use on the tags? They look greatt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! The words 'Raspberry' and 'Sugar' are Janda Curlygirl Serif. 'Lemon' is in Janda Stylish Script, and the word 'Scrub' is a font called Lemonade.

      They are all free for personal use but if you want to use them on products or on a blog (even in photos like I did) then you would want to buy a commercial license. The Janda fonts were only $5 each but the Lemonade one was a bit more pricey. I use them all the time though, so totally worth it for me!

      Delete
  5. How did you get it to stay even throughout? I have a layer of 'plain coconut oil' at the top of mine....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shan!

      I put mine in the freezer immediately after I put it in the jars. Did you try that? If you have already put labels / tags on I would be careful about putting it in the freezer with those on as they will probably run and smear from the moisture. But if not, you could try re-mixing and then freezing for 30 minutes to an hour.

      Though honestly, I don't think it's too much of a big deal - when you see scrubs like this at the store they have almost always settled out like that!

      Hope that helps :)

      Jessica

      Delete
  6. Hi Jessica! I had two questions I was hoping you could answer for me.
    1. Can I substitute olive oil for coconut oil?
    2. Can I use imitation extract in a scrub?
    Let me know! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexandria!

      Yes, I believe olive oil will work just fine instead of the coconut oil. However, the scrub may not be such a solid consistency - the coconut oil is solid below 76˚so it helps keep everything together.

      Also, sweet almond oil is a great alternative, though a bit more pricey. Have fun!

      Jessica

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I think imitation extract should be fine as well :)

      Delete
  7. For the extract, is that just the food grade extract or is there another type?

    ReplyDelete
  8. How solid does this turn out? Mine is rock hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krystie!

      It would be rock hard right out of the freezer but it should soften up a bit after you take it out. Mine is easily scoopable with your fingers.

      It would probably help to put a bit more melted coconut oil on the top (maybe a teaspoon or so) It will soak in and should help it soften up! Hope that helps.

      Jessica

      Delete
  9. Where would one find these extracts? At the grocery store in the baking aisle? Or do I have to go to a natural foods store? I've never seen them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine in the baking aisle at a regular grocery store (Walmart or Albertson's, I think) - it's the same exact stuff you use in cookies, etc. It would be in the same section as vanilla extract :)

      Delete